Help: Voluntary Deductions


Most faculty and staff can change their State of Michigan tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. You can change the number of exemptions you are claiming, change or add any additional amounts you would like withheld, or claim exemption from withholding.

Important Information

Faculty and staff who are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident CANNOT change State of Michigan tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. Click the Link to MI W-4 Form at the top of the page to print and fill out the Michigan W-4 form. Mail or fax this form to the University Payroll Office to make changes to your exemptions. See the Contact Information section below for further details. Please allow up to 15 business days for changes to display on Wolverine Access and be used in payroll processing.

Unavailable Status - The State of Michigan W-4 self service page is unavailable several days a month due to payroll processing. A message on the Michigan W-4 page will indicate when the page is unavailable.


Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > Voluntary Deductions

Step-by-Step Process

  1. Click Add Deduction.
    Note: To change an existing deduction, click the Edit button (not shown here).
  2. Voluntary Deductions screen

  3. Click Lookup next to the Type of Deduction field.
  4. Add Deductions screen

  5. Select UGIFTS-Gifts To The University.
  6. Look Up Type of Deduction screen

  7. Click the Designate Contribution Here link.
  8. Add Deduction screen

  9. Click Lookup next to the Code field.
  10. Designate Contribution screen

  11. Select the particular designation for your contribution from the search results.
  12. Look Up Code screen

  13. Enter the amount of your monthly deduction in the Designated Amount field.
  14. Designated Amount screen

  15. Click OK.
  16. The Deduction Start Date defaults to the first day of the first available month in which your contribution will be deducted. If necessary, change the date to the first of the month in which you want your contribution deducted.
  17. Add Deduction screen

  18. Type the last day of the month you want the deduction(s) to stop in the Deduction Stop Date (optional) field, or leave the field blank to allow your contribution to be deducted monthly until you complete the field later.
  19. Click Submit.
  20. Note that an email has been sent to your work address and click OK.

Contact Information

Questions? Contact the University Payroll Office:

Phone: 5-2000, option 2, from the Ann Arbor Campus, 734-615-2000, option 2, from the local Ann Arbor area, or 1-866-647-7657 for toll-free long distance

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Mail: The University of Michigan Payroll Office
G395 Wolverine Tower-Low Rise
3003 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1279

Fax: 1-734-647-3983