Help: Federal W-4 Tax Information


Most faculty and staff can change their Federal tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. You can change the number of exemptions you are claiming, change or add any additional amounts you would like withheld, or claim exemption from withholding.

Important Information

Faculty and staff who are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident CANNOT change Federal tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. Click the Link to Federal W-4 Form at the top of the page to print and fill out the Federal W-4 form. Mail or fax this form to the University Payroll Office to make changes to your exemptions. See the Contact Information section below for further details. Please allow up to 15 business days for changes to display on Wolverine Access and be used in payroll processing.

Unavailable Status - The Federal W-4 self service page is unavailable several days a month due to payroll processing. A message on the Federal W-4 page will indicate when the page is unavailable.


Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Federal Tax Information

Step-by-Step Process

  1. If necessary, click the Link to Federal W-4 Form. This form provides directions for calculating the number of exemptions you should claim. You can also print a hard copy of this form if you need to mail or fax it to the University Payroll Office.
  2. Federal W-4 Tax Information screen.

  3. Enter total number of Allowances you are claiming.
  4. If applicable, Enter Additional Amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck.
  5. Click the Single or Married radio button to indicate your Marital Status.
    Note: If you are married, but would like to withhold your taxes at the single rate, click Single, then check the associated box.
  6. If applicable, check the If you meet both conditions and wish to claim exemption from the withholding, check here box.
    Note: You cannot claim any allowances or an additional amount to be withheld if you are claiming Exempt status.
  7. Click Submit to submit your changes to the University Payroll Office.
    Note: After you click the Submit button, you must either click Submit again if you wish to continue or click Cancel to return to the Employee Business page. If you click Submit, a confirmation email will be sent to your university email address to confirm any changes you have made.

Contact Information

Questions? Contact the University Payroll Office:

Phone: 5-2000, option 2, from the Ann Arbor Campus, 734-615-2000, option 2, from the local Ann Arbor area, or 1-866-647-7657 for toll-free long distance

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Mail: The University of Michigan Payroll Office
G395 Wolverine Tower-Low Rise
3003 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1279

Fax: 1-734-647-3983